Thursday 11 November 2010

Respect

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
we will remember them.
~~~

I have two menfolk that have served their country in times of war, luckily they came back, many didn't. Today we give thanks to ALL the serving members of the armed forces and we remember the MANY who have laid down their lives for us, that we may enjoy peace.

Respect is due, is not always shown, but is the only way we can truly show our thanks to the men and women who work so hard to defend this, their and our country. Wear your poppy with pride, it's a sign we care.

Sue xx

9 comments:

  1. I was at the shopping mall at 11am today & it was vert touching & emotional to see all the shoppers fall silent & stand respectfully for 2 minutes - young & old alike.
    I noticed a few tears being shed & eyes being dabbed afterwards.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well said Sue. We had 2 minutes silence at my computer class this morning when the maroons went off. We need to keep remembering all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for us all. I remember a Great Uncle who died in France in 1916 and my Other Half's much older step-brother who was in Bomber Command and died on Christmas Eve in 1943. We will remember them all. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words Sue, silence can be a powerful thing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am able to live my life here in France because of the ultimate sacrifice of so many. I shall never forget them.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shared two minutes silence with some young soldiers in an Army camp. As most of them had served some time in Afghan or Iraq and lost friends it was a very poignant moment. We must remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sue,
    This brought tears to my eyes. It is such a poignant time isn't it? Still wearing my poppy and will do into next week too.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear my poppy with pride and always respect the two minutes silence in memorandum for all those who gave their lives.

    My father was a Royal Marine Commando - joined up by faking his age at fifteen after he cycled home from being evacuated. He remained in the RM until he retired.
    He took control of his group at 17 when his CO was killed & he was a very brave man.

    He died on November 11th 1998 a soldier through and through.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.