Thursday 24 March 2011

Ready Meals

~
Sometimes when you've been working outdoors for most of the day the last thing you want to do is come in a cook a meal from scratch. That's when my handy stash of Ready Meals in the freezer comes in really useful.
~
Almost every time I make a pan of soup, stew, curry or one of my veggie delights I now purposely over cater for the two of us, and we either use the remainder the next day or pop it in the freezer carefully labelled ready for a non-cooking day.
~
The only thing you have to do is to remember to package things so that you can thaw them easily. I usually use our stash of ice cream tubs as they hold just enough for two portions and the contents can be popped out as soon as the edges have thawed to finish defrosting in the pan sat next to the Aga.
~
Of course you also have to remember to take them out of the freezer a couple of hours before you want them. This is why I am always thinking one meal ahead at the moment, while I'm here typing this I am eating breakfast, a lovely bowl of Oatbran Porridge with Flax seeds but I know I will be having an Egg Bun for my lunch so before I go out to feed the animals I will take two eggs out of the fridge to warm up over the course of the morning. While my eggs are cooking I will be trawling the cupboards and freezer for what we are having for tea.
~
~
It took me a while to get this organised and to be honest some days it all goes to pot, that's the days when it's Pasta for tea with homemade sauce, guess what we had for tea last night....mmmm. the spaghetti was delicious!! Of course a couple of slices of Homemade Bread turned into Garlic Bread make it into a meal that looks very planned.
~
Sue xx

2 comments:

  1. I always make extra (saves on electricity too), we'd starve if we didn't have our stash of ready meals!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do this a lot too; if we make spag bol or chilli, we leave it in the slow cooker for a few hours and make about 16 portions from 800g-1kg mince. Or curry, casserole or soup. Then it's potted up in 2 person lots. Chilli tonight as I don't feel like cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.