Thursday 5 May 2011

Live Below the Line - The End of the Final Day

The remains of the store cupboard (plus one bread roll and 3 eggs).
~
Well that's it....all done. As it was the last day I could eat all the fresh stuff that was left....and it was lovely.
~
For lunch 2 egg salad buns with homemade mayo...yummy.
~
For tea the last of the Curry Sauce with my last remaining half carrot, half onion and a stray radish thrown in for good measure....tasty.
~
Todays Spend
Porridge - 10p
Coffee - 32p
2 Egg Salad Buns with Homemade Mayo - 13p
Curry Sauce with veggies and 100g Rice - 11p
Total Spend - 66p
~~~~
Total Spend for the 5 Days - £3.35
~
Not touched, I could have saved myself 26p and maybe bought apples!!
~
I have lots of food left over, but the things above haven't been touched at all so I could have saved a bit of money. Someone doing the Challenge has decided to do it again in a couple of weeks NOT using any supermarket basic lines just fresh organic foods, I will be really interested in watching how they do. Should be interesting.
~
If I were to do it again I think I would forego quantity and instead incorporate more fresh foods, brown foods (rice and pasta) and definitely some Sparkling Water. Someone asked what had I missed the most and that is it, and that will be the first thing I have tomorrow morning.
~
This week has highlighted all sorts of things, that I can live on much less money that I thought, that I don't need as much food as I thought to feel full, that I really don't like white stodgy foods, that you CAN get used to drinking tap water after a couple of days. That when I drink less coffee I enjoy it even more and savour every sip.
~
It has brought memories back of many years ago when I truly had very little money to survive on and I would open the kitchen cupboards and make mental lists of the meals that they contained and pray that I could last the week on them.
~
But most of all it has highlighted to me that the 1.4 billion people all over the world who live on £1 or less per day for ALL their needs (not just food) should be helped in any way we can. Their plight should be on ours and the politicians minds and something should be done in the world to ensure a fairer distribution of food and resources. If you think of the food thrown away in this country by most households and how many people would be truly happy to have this it is quite upsetting.
~
Thank you to those of you who have sponsored me and followed this Blog all week. Normal farming chatter will resume next week. In the meantime we are off up to Scotland tomorrow to visit my lovely Mum in Law - Jessie, leaving the farm in very capable hands.
See you on Monday.
~
Have a lovely weekend and THANKS again.
~
Sue xx

9 comments:

  1. Well done Sue, enjoy your sparkling water today and have a safe journey and a lovely weekend.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sue you've done fantastically.
    The least I've ever eaten over a period of time was a few months working on a farm ( Moshav ) in Israel in my twenties. We worked sun up to sun down every day - ate what we took off the fields with rice & drank water so we could save all our earnings to travel round Egypt. I was so slim & fit.
    You've done brilliantly !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done - I have really, really enjoyed reading this - your has been the first blog I turn to each day! - and has it has inspired me to be more careful with food. We throw far too much away in our house, and this will now, hopefully, stop. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to 'pig out' (no pun intended)on fresh fruit and veggies now!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I think that lack of fresh fruit and veg would do me in too. I do eat meat and fish but would be happy to eat less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done sue..your so good..your meals were truly mouthwatering..enjoy your weekend..
    sara,fern,iris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must look through this properly later but you seem to have done amazingly well.

    Did you start with nothing or did you have stuff in the house you could fall back on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Sue!

    How do I pay up?

    Sft

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for these lovely comments. I am really glad I did this Challenge, but if I did it again I would do it very differently....I feel a Blog post coming on..... :-)

    Campfire - you start from scratch with this challenge - empty cupboards. You are allowed to put a nominal price in for salt/pepper etc. but everything else should be bought as full packets. I was able to cost my own eggs and salad leaves by working out how much they cost me to grow.

    Sft - click on the picture at the top of my right hand sidebar and follow the steps.

    Thanks again everyone.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.