Thursday 13 December 2012

Frosty World and Woolly Socks


Our little bit of the world is magical at the moment.



The heavy frosts of each day that don't have time to melt before the temperature plummets again for nightfall mean that layer upon layer of wonderfully sparkly frost is building up on the bushes and trees.



Yesterday the sun didn't show it's face at all and the heavy freezing mist hid the beauty of the day except for a brief glimpse during the afternoon.  When Lovely Hubby drove back onto the farm at the end of his working day the magic was illuminated in his headlights and he came in with a lovely big grin on his face.

Our very own Winter Wonderland.



It's not so good first thing when I make a mad dash to open up the henhouses and the Goose Hoose taking with me warm water for them to drink while I clean out the houses, a quick nip over early afternoon with a bowl of corn for them using the then empty bowl for me to collect the eggs, of which we are getting lots at the moment.   The chickens prefer this cold snap to the recent wet weather, and the extra food they eat to keep themselves warm usually means good laying.  In wet weather they huddle together in and under the houses, dashing over for food only when they are really hungry, so their little bodies go slow and produce less eggs.



The magic of  frost all over the electric fencing this morning.


I dash over even faster, wrapped up in many layers at dusk to close up the houses and lead the Geese to their own Hoose, they stand guard at the henhouse until I get there. By torchlight we wander to the Goose Hoose, Larry and Mo go in by themselves, trotting up the ramp with much honking and complaint but Harry likes me to pick her up ,and after a quick cuddle she is popped in to join her sisters, cosying down in the deep bedding for another night of darkness cuddled together.

*** *** ***



While the cold world outside does it's thing and the chickens go about daily life I have been taking time indoors this week to sort through my accumulated clothes.



And boy have they accumulated .... again!!



Finding out about Project 333 (see yesterdays post for more information), and making the decision to join in has come just at the right for me.  Next year is to be our Year of Less, and sorting out the wardrobes and drawers is an excellent place to start.



My first task was to completely empty ALL the wardrobes, cupboards, and drawers that contained my stuff, the only thing left untouched,for now, is my suitcase of Summer clothes, that will be tackled in three months time when the cycle starts again.



With everything out the wardrobes and drawers were wiped out and freshened up and then came the mammoth task of looking at everything. 



As I had a couple of interuptions, and obviously had to clear the bed ready for sleeping in, I completely ran out of time to finish the task in hand. But I made a really good start.



Piles were made ....



.. and clothes hung in sections.



A drawer of jumpers was suddenly remembered and quickly closed, that will be tackled today



Some things completely forgotten about were rediscovered hidden at the bottom of the sock drawer!!



Including these lovely warm beauties that I got from Frugal Mummy over at My Beautiful Life earlier this year. Now in pride of place at the top of the sock drawer.



A small selection of things went into the 'Going' pile with no hesitation whatsoever, then the rest of the 'Maybees' were hung back in the wardrobe and some piles placed on the spare bed restoring our bedroom to the usual peaceful haven Lovely Hubby sees when he gets home from work.

Today will see me going through these again choosing my 33 items that will then be hung neatly in my wardrobes.  Already just starting this process has made me feel good, I can see light at the end of a 'clutter tunnel' and it's looking bright.

Now off to get stuck in.  Have you ever done something similar?

Sue xx

17 comments:

  1. I do a similar de-clutter at least 3 times a year and unwanted stuff goes to the charity shops(back to where I originally bought them from).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really good idea.

      If I keep up with Project 333, I will be going through my clothes 4 times a year, swapping, adding and taking away so I'll be similar to you.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  2. Very impressed with your de-cluttering. I tend to hoard things, mostly tat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I can keep it up this time, it is important to me so I should be able to, fingers crossed.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  3. I do a similar exercise twice a year. There isn't enough hanging space in the wardrobe, so 'out of season' stuff goes in a plastic trunk at the bottom.

    I don't restrict it to 33 items, but I do clear out stuff that I'm unlikely to wear again. I've so many clothes that I bought when I was working that for me it makes sense to keep them and slowly wear them out, rather than needing to buy new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I'm doing Project 333, I am only getting rid of stuff I really will never wear, and that will be sold at a car boot next Spring. All other clothes will be stored away and when it comes time to have a swap around (at the end of March) I will be only shopping from my store and not hitting the shops to replace anything that has worn out or is out of season.

      Like you Ihave lots of good stuff and it makes sense to wear it ALL out before I shop again.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  4. Fascinating frosty photos Sue, this is something that I will never see in Australia. We are melting here at the moment with yesterday and today being 44C! Seeing your pictures at least made me feel cooler for a little while :)

    I need to have a clean out too, I hang on to too many clothes...

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to hang on to stuff isn't it, this time I am being ruthless, it is either being worn, will be worn or will be going.

      Ruthless ..... that's me at the moment!!

      Sue xx

      Delete
  5. Love the frosty look!
    Your post regarding 33 things has come at just the right time for me! I have been feeling rather overwhelmed with lots of things coming into the house lately (cleaning out ma in law's house, she's gone into care and the house is sold) so at least sorting through and decluttering my clothes is something that I can get control of and feel good about! I removed the winter things from the wardrobe, counted the clothes, around 20, so that's good but I think I'll desist from counting my costume jewellery otherwise I would be waaayyyyy over! I wear a lot of black so I like a bit of accessorising for colour :)
    Cheers Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate that overwhelming feeling, and know it only too well.

      Even 3 days into this challenge I am feeling lighter and now that I've just finished sorting out the 33 (yes,I just this minute finished) I keep peeking into my new streamlined wardrobe....it's brilliant.

      Well done you on having so little, I don't think I could get down to 20!!

      Sue xx

      Delete
  6. I've done this so many times that if you don't count underwear and pyjamas - and I do love my jamas :-) - I'd struggle to find 33 items of clothing IN my wardrobe. No need for a summer and winter wardrobe in Orkney - I wear the same clothes all year round. In summer I just take my hat off! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I love the idea of your differing wardrobe being just a hat!!

      I don't have to count pyjamas, underwear, gym wear or workwear in my 33 thank goodness.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos of the frost. You can't beat hand knitted socks to keep your tootsies warm, I think it's about time I cast some more on, it's nearly a year since I last knitted socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to master knitting socks, I only ever got to making square things!!

      Thank goodness for Frugal Mummy, thanks to her my tootsies are now cosy in my wellies.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  8. Here in Pennsylvania (USA) we don't get the hoar frosts you get. I always love them when I come over and take lots of pictures!
    Have been doing regular clothing removal for a while now. I think they say you wear something like 20% of your clothing 80% of the time! And most of my clothes are "barn" clothes so I struggle to find nice clothes when I travel or go out!
    You really need to try the heated water buckets or containers here...they are pretty energy efficent and it has saved my feet/legs from the injuries I used to get by breaking out the solid chunks of ice that froze up overnight (for the sheep and horses esp...not to mention the broken buckets ot water that sloshed onto my legs/hands as I carried it out to the barn (and then promptly FROZE!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have heated water drinkers for the chickens, you can buy pads to sit the containers on, but unfortunately, the only ones I have found are electric and as the birds are not near a source of power these would be no good. So I carry hot water over from the house for them.

      It's no great hardship, a lot less carrying than I used to have when I had to carry hot water backwards and forwards to defrost the pig troughs as well.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  9. Firstly, I have been reading your posts. Now I've got time to comment! Yeah!
    I am SOOO excited about your forever home. I know how much you two want and deserve it.
    We saw 2 Muntjac deer on a lovely walk we did in September. They ran across the path in front of us. Such moments make my heart swell with happiness and joy. We are so lucky to live with such wonderful nature.
    The beautiful frosty moments have also provided such moments of 'stand and stare'. I enjoyed looking out over the woods in our School grounds. We have a beautiful selection of trees and they looked enchanting yesterday morning.
    Thanks for detailing this new challenge. It has come at a perfect time for me. I probably need to buy some new clothes for my 33 for much of my wardrobe doesn't fit and may not for some time.
    Keep up the wonderful and entertaining posts!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.