Tuesday 24 June 2014

No More Chicken at the Door

  
Amber died yesterday, a quiet, calm dignified death. 
 
On Sunday she was off colour, slightly hunched and wanting to be by herself.  She drank some water when I offered it and had a nibble of corn, but she wanted to be alone and sat herself on a pile of leaves and twigs in the corner by the compost bins behind Chicken World.  At the hottest part of the day she came down and paddled in the drinking water bowl, something I've never seen a chicken do before, she must have instinctively wanted to cool herself down a bit more.
 
  At dusk she put herself to bed in one of the nesting boxes in the henhouse, strangely facing the back door instead of forward as the girls usually do, it was as though she valued her privacy.  I left her with a small cup of water.
 
Yesterday morning she trooped out with the others and I thought she was a bit better, her eyes were bright and she was walking much more upright.  After a mooch about in the grass for an insecty breakfast she sat by the water drinker in the sun.  It was lovely to see her basking in its warmth.
 
Later I looked over and she had moved from the sunshine into the shade of the small tree and there were two birds sat with her.  When I saw them troop away and leave her after an hour or so, I knew she had gone.  So I immediately went over to check and sure enough, she was warm but lifeless.
 
After checking her all over for any signs of what could have been wrong and finding absolutely none, I knew it was simply the time she had chosen.
 
They die well do chickens.  They sense when they want to go, they do the things they want to do and enjoy the things they have always enjoyed for the last time.  They chose their place to be and say goodbye to their favourite friends, and then they calmly and quietly slip away.
 
Oh would that it were that easy for everyone.

 
She was always one of the flock, accepted by everyone and always in the midst of any action, but she loved us too, I was privileged to be included as part of her gang.
 
But now there will be no more little white chicken rushing up the steps into the house to tell me when I'm late with the afternoon corn, no chicken doing her amazing vertical take off and nipping over the fence to have a nosey at what we are up to, demanding that we take her back and give her more corn.
 
Lovely Amber she arrived with us HERE and left when she decided to go.
 
RIP lovely girl.

Sue xx

30 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to sweet Amber, as you say we would all be content if we could pass in such a gentle and dignified way.

    Hugs
    Julie Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad but as you say would that it could be like that for us all! You;ll miss her of course but have many happy memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to here that but she had a happy life with you and that was the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad, a lovely tribute though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless her - and the others for keeping her company on her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely thoughts, they really have such big personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, so sad. They are such little characters aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah,she was loved...and that's the most important gift you could have given her.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely tribute to a cherished member of the gang

    ReplyDelete
  10. No doubt that Amber would have said thank you Mum for all your care to me and my sisters if she could have.
    So sad ;
    Love you lots
    MUM XXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can tell she's going to be sorely missed. A lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear little creature. Still she left the world calmly and peacefully.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  13. RIP Amber, lovely little hen :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber was loved and that is the most important thing. What a lovely way to go xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no Sue, I'm so sorry to read this. She was a little darling wasn't she. She will be missed that's for sure x x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. My nephew shared a funny story about their chicken which would come running when he drove up in the lane and follow him all the way to the house. So they can really be pets, as your little hen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is very touching. We should all have such a good life, and death, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post Sue in spite of the sad news. I'm sure Amber was very happy to be part of your flock x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry. I have two chickens and they're very important to me. I am sure Amber felt your affection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear, Sue! RIP Amber. She had a fantastic life and I'm sure will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry to hear this news. She sounded like quite a little character and you will miss her x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about your loss Sue. She had a good life by the sounds of it and I know you will miss her.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's the bit I'm not keen on, having to say goodbye.......

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a touching post. Beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm always happy when I know they have had a nice life with people such as you. Thank you for sharing the nice pictures and I was so pleased you took her home and didnt leave her behind. X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bless - that made me cry xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.