Wednesday 10 December 2014

Opening the Sealed Pot


Better late than never, everyone else with Sealed Pots seemed to open theirs last week, but events caught up with us and it just didn't get done.  So yesterday after I got back from a couple of days with Mum, Lovely Hubby and me decided to go and do a bit of Christmas shopping, so just before we set off was the perfect time to open the pot.


I'm afraid my lovely shiny tin sustained some damage getting it open, who knew double sided sticky tape was that strong!!  We had to prise the lid off with the end of the can opener to get at our pennies.

  But it was worth it .... what a lot of pennies there were!


I'm afraid we cheated and used the cash counting machine at the supermarket, (I know it cost us money, but it was easy and we chose this option), and this is the grand total after all the tinkling and re-feeding the stubborn coins back through the machine was done.


We didn't spend it on Christmas things, instead we used our £35 of Nectar points and £12 of money off coupons on wines and two bottles of Port .... and brought the money home with us.


Where I set to and minimised the damage to the lid the best I could, and then re sealed the pot for next years saving.


Sorry for the rough treatment Mr Tin but at least you are once again sealed up, as every good Sealed Pot should be.


In other news (as they say) the fascia boards and guttering have gone up on two sides of the conservatory and what a difference it makes.  We're suddenly looking a whole lot smarter.


Really smart!!

There's still the Velux and that side of the roof to do, but we have to wait for a dry and relatively wind free day for that.  Meanwhile work is cracking on a pace inside with nearly all the roof insulation now in place.


Advent Challenge - Day 10

A Christmassy magazine, discovered in the Christmas decorations box.  I remember putting it in there last year to hopefully dissuade me from buying too many Christmas magazines this year.  I have been quite good .... I have only bought two (not counting the magazines that I get on subscription), which is a VAST improvement on the many, many I used to be tempted into getting.

Sue xx.



15 comments:

  1. Well done! And well done for recycling your savings jar, even if it is damaged. I have friends who use terramundi savings jars but they have to smash them open and they can't be reused. And they cost around £20!

    Your conservatory is looking fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was determined to bash it back into a usable shape. I'll get at least another couple of years out of it I think.

      Delete
  2. I really must work out how this sealed pot works! I'm jealous every year of all the openings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy ... get a pot, anything will do, seal it up so you can't get at the contents without a struggle (helps stop temptation) and then feed it with all your dribs and drabs of change, or some people feed it with specific coins (we did £2 coins a couple of years back). If it helps give yourself something to aim for that you want to spend your money on, this makes sure you don't cheat and spend your change instead of feeding the pot with it.

      At the start of December open your pot, and count and spend all your money, or in my case I use it to fund a Challenge for the new year Watch this space for next years mini Challenge.

      Delete
  3. I opened my sealed pot a couple of weeks ago. I intended to use it to buy my youngest daughter and I a lunch when we were Christmas shopping. There was £63 in there. I was amazed! needless to say we didn't need that much, so it bought us a coffee too and the rest I gave to her and my granddaughter for when THEY went shopping the next day.
    Pot now re-sealed
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. It feels like money for nothing doesn't it, always nice to have extra funds for a treat. I bet your daughter and granddaughter were thrilled.

      Delete
  4. I had 2 sealed pots this year, one for £2 and 50p coins and the other for 20p and 5p coins. When opened on 30th Nov I'd managed to amass £328 which, combined with the £50 I had in Morrisons savings stamps, has almost paid for all the Xmas pressies and food for the family. I'm so pleased as this year I hadn't managed to put away any other money specifically for Xmas. I've already sealed my tins back up and have started adding to them for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sue...what fun to open our sealed pot. We keep coins in a bag to use for traveling. It's always nice to have some extra money put aside for those trips. Looks like you are making great progress on the house. Happy for you. Have a special Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sealed Pot sounds fun and easy. I might try it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are re using your old tin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most bank branches have a coin counter and they don't charge. Not what you want to hear but something to bear in mind next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Conservatory is looking so good, have loved the updates on it. Would love something like that at our house.
    Good work on the money tin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How much do those machines cost to use out of interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9.9%, which is them trying to make 10% sound cheaper if you ask me ;-)

      Delete
  11. We sort of do the same thing, but I like the sealed pot idea. I save £2 coins for holidays and weekends away, 50p for our grandsons holiday spending and spare small stuff in a jar in my sewing room labelled 'mannequin fund' . Not sure it will ever be used for that as I always seem to find some other gadget that I 'need'. However 2015 is the year of the big family event so all funds will be going in the 'Wedding' pot! Love how the conservatory us looking, what a bonus it will be.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.